Subject: Accelerated aging

Accelerated aging

From: Poiata Teodora <poiata_teodora>
Date: Saturday, January 31, 2004
I am a student for the Master Degree, National Art University,
Bucharest, Romania. The Conservation Restoration Department has
developed a research project, which focuses on the materials used in
the conservation treatment for frescoes and how these materials are
aging during the time. We are interested in consolidants for the
support and adhesives for the paint layer.

The samples we use (measuring between 3 and 4 square inches each)
are fragments of frescoes from 16th and 17th century that were
extracted from the churches to be demolished some time ago. The
samples for the paint layer were prepared using most usual adhesives
in Romania (Primal AC 33, Paraloid B72 and B67, Barium Hydroxide,
Calcium Hydroxide, casein dispersion).

At this time we are making some temperature/humidity and
freezing/decreasing aging tests, using cycles for accelerated
process and repose. This first part of the project will take about 9
months. The accelerated aging regime we imposed is similar to the
existing weathering conditions in European countries and equivalent
to 15 years natural aging. We also intend to make some lightening
tests because the frescoes contain sensible pigments such as natural
malachite and azurite, but for this we need an advanced technology
that can provide aging under light conditions. We do not have an
aging chamber to control lightening process. Does anybody know any
research center where we can get access to this technology and may
be interested to take part in this project?

Poiata Teodora Oana
Student for Master's Degree
National Art University,
Bucharest, Romania,