Subject: Source for batting

Source for batting

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner>
Date: Wednesday, January 21, 2004
Alice Lucas <alice.lucas [at] hrp__org__uk> writes

>I am trying to find a supplier of 1 inch conservation grade wadding.
>We have always used Preservation Equipment in the UK. However, they
>no longer supply this. I have also tried their US arm, University
>Products, without much luck. Can anyone suggest a company,
>preferably in the UK?

When I needed this material for preserving wedding gowns (an
honorable career which is now far behind me), I found a batting
manufacturer and bought it direct.

I would suggest you research where upholsterers and furniture
manufacturers buy their supply, and then contact the batting
importer or manufacturer.

Specify that it must be pure polyester batting, with no additives or
coatings. (I believe there is some information on testing in the
distlist archives) My manufacturer stocked a dizzying variety of
weights and thicknesses.

Even if you have to buy a minimum order, you will find the prices to
be much cheaper than anywhere else. I once had to purchase a $200
minimum order, and found myself driving home in a mini van
containing eight enormous (48 X 40 inch) rolls of batting that were
squeezed and stuffed in to every corner of the car (excepting the
windshield over the steering wheel). Closing the back hatch took
some real effort. It was a very quiet, if unnerving ride back to my
shop that afternoon.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Supplies and Solutions for oxygen-free and microclimate storage

                Distributed: Thursday, January 29, 2004