Subject: Moving collection materials

Moving collection materials

From: Carol Clausen <clausenc>
Date: Wednesday, January 14, 2004
The staff of our prints and photographs and motion picture
collections is going to be moved permanently to a work area distant
from the collection storage area. They will be in another building,
in fact, though the two buildings are connected. The problem is,
collection material will be going back and forth constantly.  The
materials include reels of film in canisters, videocassettes of
various sizes, prints and photographs in Hollinger boxes, individual,
unboxed prints and photographs, and posters, including some very
large ones. We are concerned about protecting the material when it's
being moved between storage and work area, through several doorways,
in two elevators, and down several long corridors.

Has anyone been faced with this situation? What recommendations do
you have for equipment, methods, etc., to avoid disasters to the
materials such as shifting or falling off carts? We are especially
concerned about the posters that are too large to move flat.

Carol Clausen
History of Medicine Division
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike