Subject: Flaking oil paint on paper

Flaking oil paint on paper

From: Kate Lowry <kate.lowry>
Date: Friday, January 16, 2004
We are currently trying to devise a treatment for a late 18th
century oil on paper. The dark areas of paint have been coated with
a resin or gum by the artist to improve saturation of the colour.
This has resulted in the development of a fine cracklure in these
areas accompanied by minute flaking and paint loss.

We are hoping to consolidate the paint and prevent further paint
loss, but it is impossible to touch the paint surface without
causing further damage. So far we have tried the application of CMC
in water and methylated spirit using a nebuliser. However very
slight blanching occurred in the small area we treated, suggesting
that the use of this adhesive in these solvents are not suitable for
this work. Does anyone have any experience of treating a work with
this kind of problem and/or suggestions as to other
adhesives/solvent systems we might try, bearing in mind that it
would need to be suitable for use in a nebuliser.

Kate Lowry

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 20, 2004