Subject: Mold on mollusk shells

Mold on mollusk shells

From: Jill K. Harris <jillharr>
Date: Tuesday, January 6, 2004
A co-worker posed the following question; and, I have no idea how to
answer her.  Does anyone have experience with this problem?  Or,
know anyone I could contact to discuss this with?

   "I am supposed to help the people at the marine lab in Brazil
    curate the Marcus bryozoan collection--it was stored for years
    in humid conditions in Sao Pauli, and when I looked the
    collection last year, I saw that many of the specimens, which
    are on dead shell substrata, were covered with networks of
    fungal growth--I wondered if you have any ... contacts that
    might be able to offer advice on how to get rid of it--and keep
    it from re-occurring. Judy"

Jill K. Harris
Registrar
Virginia Museum of Natural History