Subject: Ceramic tile mural

Ceramic tile mural

From: Dawn Martin <dawnmm>
Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2003
I am wondering if anyone can suggest a tool for use in removing a 16
x 16 foot ceramic tile mural that has been "buttered" with epoxy and
mounted to a cinder block wall. Once up, these randomly shaped, hand
made tiles were edged with a wood surround and the gaps between the
individual tiles and the wood lip were grouted.

We have successfully removed several tiles using custom made carbide
grit reciprocating/sawzall blades to cut through the bonding agent
to a max. depth of 28 inches. However, as the blades have to be
flexed so as to cut flush to the block wall--in the tight channel of
epoxy--we are breaking blades at a rate of several an hour. This
technique is working well in that we have been able to remove
tiles--even those with existing cracks and repairs with no damage.

Thus far we are spot welding repairs to the blades on site--and have
been pouring over our tool catalogues looking for alternatives. We
are considering setting up hand rings on diamond impregnated wire to
make a two man wire saw for the deepest cuts. And are also spot
welding the carbide grit reciprocating blades on the ends of long
pull saws.

Unfortunately, as we are working against the clock (the current
location of the mural has been sold--and we have only 30 days to
remove the 160 piece grouping on behalf of our client) we must come
up with a powered solution for the majority of the cutting work.

Seeking any recommendations for specialty tools that can set up to
operate with diamond or carbide grit blades flush to a wall surface
with a desired cut depth of 24 inches and 1/4 inch or less kerf.

If anyone has come up with a solution for deep, tight, flush cuts to
epoxy or other bonding agents I would love to hear from you.

Dawn Martin
Project Coordinator Methods and Materials
Fine Art/Artifact Rigging
1749 N. Harding
Chicago IL 60647

                  Distributed: Friday, January 9, 2004