Subject: Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group

Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group

From: Jennifer E. Hain <jhain>
Date: Monday, January 5, 2004
ALA midwinter Meeting Announcement and Agenda

The ALCTS/PARS Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach
Discussion Group will be meeting on Sunday, January 11, 2004 from
2-4 pm in the San Diego Marriott, Room Torrey 1.

We will be discussing role of preservation in digitization projects,
including our own education as preservation professionals to better
understand the technology behind digitization and the mechanisms by
which it is done, as well as the physical stresses that the
materials may go through and the degree to which a piece should be
repaired before scanning.  Presentations will be given by Pete
Merrill-Oldham of Acme Bookbinding
<URL:http://www.acmebook.com/digital/>, Derek Jenkins of IIRI (Image
Retrieval Inc. <URL:http://www.iiri.com>) and Lotfi Belkhir of
Kirtas Technologies (<URL:http://www.kirtas-tech.com/> about their
experiences with high-end digitization projects, special collections
and general collections digital reformatting.  Joan Gatewood, Head,
Preservation Reformatting Services at the University of Michigan
will also talk about the process of training staff and working with
vendors from a library perspective.

Jennifer Hain Teper
Head, Conservation Unit
Main Library, Room 44