Subject: Designing a conservation facility

Designing a conservation facility

From: Cindy Gardner <cgardner>
Date: Friday, December 12, 2003
We are in the prolonged stages of planning a new museum.  In the
collections area we are requesting a conservation lab although we
don't have a conservator on staff.  We foresee the area being used
for basic conservation, but ideally by a staff conservator at some
point.  What equipment is essential for us to have in this area?  We
are planning for stainless steel cabinets and counters, a sink,
moveable/adjustable tables.  We realize more is needed, but we need
help.

    **** Moderator's comments: Please see the Conservation DistList
    archives where this topic has been discussed before. There are
    also several articles on the topic elsewhere in Conservation
    OnLine <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/>

Cindy Gardner, Field Services Curator
Old Capitol Museum of Mississippi History
Mississippi Department of Archives and History
PO Box 571
Jackson, MS 39205-0571
601-576-6901
Fax: 601-576-6981