Subject: Digital imaging of paper and parchment

Digital imaging of paper and parchment

From: Adam Lowe <alowe>
Date: Friday, December 12, 2003
We are currently engaged in a research project to digitally record a
10th century manuscript on vellum in the collection of the
Biblioteca Nacional in Madrid. It is the earliest copy of Beato's
Commentary on the Apocalypse of St John in the library collection
and great academic importance.

The recording is being done using an APIS (Advanced Paper Imaging
System) to record the manuscript when it is open less than 90
degrees. Each page is being recorded with transmitted and reflected
light and 2 different digital systems. One is a Phase One H25
mounted onto a Hasselblad body with a 50 mm digital lens and the
other is a Solar M3 with a 47mm digital lens.

In addition to the photography the binding and a double page spread
will also be laser scanned using Factum Arte's Seti scanner capable
of a true resolution of 100 microns along and between the scanning
lines. A mixture of the photographic and 3D data significantly adds
to the way we perceive and understand the object being recorded.

We are now particularly interested in engaging in a dialogue with
the conservation community about the importance of surface
information both of vellum and paper. If there are any specific
concerns, insights or interests relating to the way the surfaces
change during treatment or with time it could be very helpful in
determining the nature of the research we carry out. For example we
are interested if we can quantify the changes that occur to a sheet
of hot pressed paper when it is washed and in recording in 3
dimensions the faults, score lines, punched holes, creases and
blemishes that give the vellum its particular characteristics.

I would welcome any comments and suggestions relating to this work.

Adam Lowe
Director, Factum Arte
Hilarion Eslava 53
Madrid 28015