Subject: Christmas tree in museum

Christmas tree in museum

From: Mary-Lou Florian <mflorian>
Date: Friday, December 5, 2003
Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

>Do we risk bringing harmful insect pests into our museum if we allow
>a real Christmas tree to be placed in a non-collections area for one
>week this year?

There will be no insects on the surface of the tree that would cause
a problem in the Museum environment. Also in Quebec most trees will
be frozen in nature before purchase. If there are any bark beetle
pupae in the bark, it is unlikely that they could pupate due to the
short time in the warm environment.. Even if they did they would not
infest anything in the museum because they would need a living tree.

Mary-Lou Florian

                Distributed: Thursday, December 11, 2003