Subject: Kelvin Quadrant Electrometer

Kelvin Quadrant Electrometer

From: Alan J. Hawk <hawk>
Date: Monday, December 1, 2003
    cmol [at] iol__ie.

    I have been asked by University College Cork to advise on
    getting rid of "corrosive liquid" inside and leaching out of
    what I identified in my Irish National Inventory as a Kelvin
    Quadrant Electrometer. I have a catalogue of "Lord Kelvin's
    Standard Electric Instruments" (1898) but it doesn't include
    this one.

    Has anyone experience of this instrument?  What acid is it,
    assuming it is an acid?  How do we get it out?  Are there any
    other safety implications (apart from disposing of the acid)?
    Are there simple "first aid" measures that can be taken after
    removal of the acid as a preliminary to any
    conservation/refurbishment which might be taken in hand at a
    future date.

    Dr. R. Charles Mollan
    17 Pine Lawn
    Newtownpark Avenue
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin
    Ireland
    +353 1 289 6186
    Fax: +353 1 289 7970
    cmol [at] iol__ie

Alan Hawk
Collections Manager, Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
Bldg. 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC  20306-6000
202-782-2205, DSN 662-2205
Fax: 202-782-3573, DSN 662-3573

                Distributed: Thursday, December 4, 2003