Subject: Enzymes and silk

Enzymes and silk

From: Mika Takami <mika.takami>
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2003
We are looking into methods of removing proteinaceous adhesive
(probably animal glue) from a very degraded linen-backed silk
ground. Mechanical removal, warm water and solvents were not found
to produce the desired result. Our main concern is to find an enzyme
that would break down the adhesive without damaging the silk
substrate. Any suggestions and/or advice on such a treatment would
be much appreciated.

Mika Takami
Textile Conservator
Conservation and Collections Care