Subject: Cyclododecane

Cyclododecane

From: Helle Strehle <farkcons>
Date: Monday, December 1, 2003
Maja Weichert <majaweichert [at] web__de> writes

>We are planning to consolidate archaeological material such as wood
>and textile, stone, metal, and ceramics for transport using
>cyclododecane. The treated objects will remain sealed in
>polyethylene-foil for about three months, maybe up to one year. ...

We have used cyclododecane (as a spray from Kremer Pigmente) on
mosaics in Turkey. Stored indoors without climate control and sealed
thoroughly in sheets of polyethylene the cyclododecane was
completely gone after 1 year. After 2 summer months the
cyclododecane was still intact.

Helle Strehle
Conservator-Restorer
Moesgerd Museum