Subject: Musical manuscripts in the Philippines

Musical manuscripts in the Philippines

From: Elizabeth Melzer <eamelzer>
Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2003
I am a paper conservator working as a volunteer in the Philippines
looking at the preservation of Church archives on the island of
Bohol.  Bohol has a strong history of Church music and as part of my
project I am undertaking a significance assessment of a series of
musical manuscripts dating from the early 19th century.

The manuscripts are on parchment and archival records suggest that
they have been entirely produced locally, including the manufacture
of the parchment and the bindings.  Parchment production appears to
have been a short-lived industry lasting maybe eighty to one hundred
years introduced by Spanish priests and ending with the War of
Independence.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other traditions of parchment
or similar manuscript manufacture either in Asia or other tropical
regions?  Or can anyone refer me to any contacts they have with
knowledge in these areas either from a conservation or art history
perspective.

Libby Melzer
Australian Youth Ambassadors for Development
Center for Culture and Arts Development
Tagbilaran City
Bohol, Philippines

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 26, 2003