Subject: Cyclododecane

Cyclododecane

From: Maja Weichert <majaweichert>
Date: Friday, November 21, 2003
We are planning to consolidate archaeological material such as wood
and textile, stone, metal, and ceramics for transport using
cyclododecane. The treated objects will remain sealed in
polyethylene-foil for about three months, maybe up to one year. We
have to make sure, that within this period of time, no significant
sublimation will occur (and no condensation, of course).

Does anyone have experience with sealing and storing
cyclododecane-treated objects? Will there occur any adverse effects
on objects made of organic material when they remain in contact with
cyclododecane over a longer period of time? I would be very thankful
for any advice.

Maja Weichert, conservator
ProDenkmal GmbH
Projektierungsgesellschaft fur Denkmalpflege
Krausnickstr. 23
10115 Berlin
Germany

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 26, 2003