Subject: Felt

Felt

From: Isabel Zarazua <pindalian>
Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2003
I would like to know information about felt fabric conservation. I'm
a paper conservator and I'm treating a 19th century hat which we
thought was made by paper. Now we have found it is made of pressed
felt. Which kind of material and methods are more appropriate for
cleaning, filling losses, tears repair, fungal treatment and
hydration? I've already done a bibliographic search but there isn't
too much available here. If needed I can send a picture of it.

Isabel Zarazua
Paper conservator
National Library of Lisbon
Preservation and Conservation Dept.