Subject: Fabrics for lining

Fabrics for lining

From: Per Knutas <pknutas>
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2003
We are frequently facing large scale mural removals due to
demolition of buildings etc. We have in most cases lined the
paintings on various substrates. As of now, we use a semi-rigid
lining fabric that we remount to the wall by screwing  through
grommets along the perimeter of the lining. The system is working
well but the material used for the lining fabric is very limited.

We are constantly facing the problem of finding suitable fabrics for
lining of oversized paintings. We have up to this point used
numerous materials such as sail cloth, polyester needled felt, woven
polyester in various thicknesses and weave patterns. Limiting
aspects of the use of the fabrics, apart from the permeability and
other conservation standard requirements are width. We would be very
grateful if there is a source or information on appropriate lining
fabrics with a width over 10 feet.

Per Knutes
Assistant Paintings Conservator
Intermuseum Conservation Association