Subject: Flameproofing velvet curtain

Flameproofing velvet curtain

From: Robert Mussey <rmussey>
Date: Friday, November 7, 2003
Karin von Lerber <karin.vonlerber [at] prevart__ch> writes

>I have been asked to evaluate the possibility of flame proofing an
>original cinema curtain by the Swiss artist Max Bill

I recently researched flame-retardant fabrics which meet the Boston
and California fire codes for use in public buildings for
upholstery.

One fire rate barrier fabric used commonly in the US which meets
stringent code requirementsis a thin, woven fiberglass fabric, which
can be purchased in various colors. The particular fabric I selected
is "Uniguard", sold by various upholstery supply houses in this
country such as B&M Upholstery Supply in Lebanon, Connecticut.

You may have to search to find a version dyed in different
colors--the standard material is undyed. It unravels very easily and
is a bit more difficult to sew than normal fabrics, but we were able
to learn its quirks in short time.

Robert Mussey
Robert Mussey Associates
1415 Hyde Park Avenue