Subject: Window films

Window films

From: William Low <wlow>
Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2003
Gregg Grunow <virginiana [at] nngov__com> writes

>Our special collection room has very large windows, which look nice,
>but are undoubtedly letting in too much sunlight.  I wish to submit
>a proposal to have plastic window film applied.  Does anyone on the
>list have experience with 3M Scotch tint or the Llumar product? ...

Our gallery windows were coated with 3m Scotchtint film when the
facility was constructed in 1986. To date the product has performed
adequately (no apparent discoloration) though we have not tested its
efficiency for blocking UV recently (tests from about 4 yrs ago were
satisfactory). Because of glare from large or poorly placed windows
we have also installed polyester coated window shades, which have
been very successful. They are good-looking and provide greater
lighting control.

I would be interested to hear of any studies on longevity of various
window films/treatments.

Bill Low
Bates College Museum of Art

                 Distributed: Friday, November 14, 2003