Subject: Varnish spray booth

Varnish spray booth

From: John Burke <jb>
Date: Monday, October 27, 2003
On behalf of Laurent Sozzani, Gwen M. Tauber <tauber [at] rijksmuseum__nl>
writes

>    Second, I would appreciate some practical information from
>    anywhere with a good functioning spray booth:
>
>        How much air flow through the system is required, that is
>        cubic feet or meters per minute for normal varnishing?

We use a modified Bleeker bench-type spray booth (but without the
bench so it's like a shallow floor booth, with a bank of filters in
the rear wall), 10 feet wide, 7 feet high (due to code that required
an internal muffler on the exhaust), and 4 feet deep.  The face of
the booth is open so we can effectively use the area in front as
well. The booth uses 7,200 cfm (818 air changes per hour).

>        In an air conditioned/climatized room with the spray booth,
>        when the suction is on, is it necessary to deal with the air
>        conditioner and if so how is the burden on the air
>        conditioning system caused by the suction dealt with?

Our hvac (T and RH%) system is variable speed.  At normal speed,
with the spray booth off, it uses 4,000 cfm (10.8 air changes per
hour.  When either the spray booth and/or the Nederman trunks are
on, the system ramps up to 11,200 cfm (30.2 air changes per hour).

>        What type of air intake systems are employed to offset air
>        being sucked out of a room, and if necessary how is the air
>        heated during cold weather?

The building was designed to maintain a positive pressure at all
times, which is accomplished by the increased cfm interlock.  The
performance meets our needs, and exceeds both ASHRAE and California
Title 24 (energy) standards.  But I can tell you that of all the
components of the new lab, the spray booth was definitely the most
challenging.

John Burke
Oakland Museum of California

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 28, 2003