Subject: Varnish spray booth

Varnish spray booth

From: Gwen M. Tauber <tauber>
Date: Thursday, October 23, 2003
The following is posted on behalf of Laurent Sozzani

    I am writing from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.  Due to too many
    obstacles to describe here, we are having a difficult time
    including a varnish spray booth into our newly planned
    restoration and research building. The building will house the
    restoration ateliers of the Rijksmuseum, the research section of
    the ICN (Institute Collections Netherlands) and the practical
    workshops of the restoration school of the ICN.  The spray booth
    will be used mainly by the paintings restorers but must also be
    able to accommodate all restoration disciplines.

    First, I would like to hear from any restoration atelier nearby
    (within 400 kilometers of Amsterdam) that has good functioning
    spray booth that we might visit.

    Second, I would appreciate some practical information from
    anywhere with a good functioning spray booth:

        How much air flow through the system is required, that is
        cubic feet or meters per minute for normal varnishing?

        In an air conditioned/climatized room with the spray booth,
        when the suction is on, is it necessary to deal with the air
        conitioner and if so how is the burden on the air
        conditioning system caused by the suction dealt with?

        What type of air intake systems are employed to offset air
        being sucked out of a room, and if necessary how is the air
        heated during cold weather?

    Any and all information would be greatly appreciated: with as
    much detail as possible, technical info, schematics, plans,
    photos etc. and also tips on failed or flawed systems, things to
    avoid. At times it seems we are dealing with insurmountable
    obstacles when we really need to build a simple basic practical
    spray booth, mainly for paintings, but that can ultimately be
    used by other disciplines.

    Laurent Sozzani, Senior Paintings Restorer
    Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
    Postbus 74888
    1070 DN Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Gwen M. Tauber