Subject: Cold storage

Cold storage

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner>
Date: Friday, October 24, 2003
Julie Page <julie [at] library__ucsd__edu> writes

>I've had a request from a California library that wants to purchase
>a small, secure, cold storage vault to house somewhere in the
>neighborhood of 50,000 items (photos, slides, videos, negs, discs
>and other media). They would like a general idea of what this might
>cost, in order to pursue a funding request. Can anyone point us to a
>source and approximate cost?

Generally, cold storage vaults come from a combination two or more
"suppliers": usually there's a manufacturer who makes the insulated
cooler itself (usually of modular design), another manufacturer
provides the cooling unit, and then there's a service organization
to design and assemble the vault. There may also be a consultant in
the mix. With all these players involved, costing will be
interesting.

A slightly different approach is taken by Microclimate Technologies.
We develop specific solutions for particular installations, so that
our devices come ready to install. We have recently developed a
"cold and dry" microclimate generation system that will supply cold
air at constant humidity for cold storage vaults.  The stand alone
unit uses a unique design, involving tandem compressors, for extreme
stability, reliability, and safety.

This microclimate generation system can be used with any insulated
cooler to provide secure, stable storage for records, photographs,
and other artefacts. More information is available at
<URL:http://www.microclimate.ca>

Jerry Shiner
Microclimate Technology International

                 Distributed: Monday, October 27, 2003