Subject: Polyethylene bags

Polyethylene bags

From: Mark D. Hanson <hansonmn>
Date: Friday, October 17, 2003
Susan Smyer <susan.smyer [at] tpwd__state__tx__us> writes

>I need to know if the cheap 2 mil polyethylene Ziploc bags that I've
>found in storage supply catalogs are as archivally safe as the ones
>that I have ordered previously from museum supply catalogs?  In
>other words, is polyethylene the same from product to product?

Here at the Repository virtually all of our artifacts are bagged in
4 mil polyethylene bags, and due to financial constraints, all of
the bags are purchased from a general packaging catalog.

In keeping with many of the other past discussions on this topic, we
have experienced very few problems. To date we have found no
deterioration or discoloration of bags, but we do occasionally get a
bad batch where bags are split or the seal will not separate.

We do not use bags less than 4 mil for a couple of reasons. First,
they tear much to easily, especially for oddly shaped artifacts, and
secondly, we feel they provide a much more effective buffer against
dust, airborne pollutants, and the boxes our artifacts are stored
in.

Mark D. Hanson, M.A
Assistant Curator
University of Wyoming Archaeological Repository
PO Box 3431
Laramie, Wyoming  82071-3431

                 Distributed: Friday, October 17, 2003