Subject: Removing Cararra glass panels from masonry

Removing Cararra glass panels from masonry

From: Pierlucio Pellissier <pierlucio>
Date: Friday, October 17, 2003
Christine Miller <cmiller [at] crcg__net>

>Does anyone have experience in successfully removing Cararra glass
>panels from a masonry substrate?  If so, what techniques did you
>use? In this particular situation, the panels appear to be applied
>with 5 daubs of asphaltic/bituminous adhesive on top of some sort of
>stucco coat (at least an inch thick, probably concrete, and the
>substrate is not visible).

If as you say, the panels have been fixed with asphalt/bitumen
adhesive (tile adhesive) this can be softened by heating the panel
with infrared lights of with a large heating gun and then the panel
can be pried from the wall. The length of heath application and the
temperature depend on the thickness of the panel and on the age of
the adhesive. At least, it worked for me.

Pierlucio Pellissier
Architect/restorer
Arts and Architecture
Montreal