Subject: Silk scarves

Silk scarves

From: Eve DeMoss Gamber <egamber>
Date: Monday, October 13, 2003
I am working on two antique Spanish silk scarves with extra long
fringe. They both have needlework done with silk thread.  One has an
insert of a lighter color.  One is black silk with black silk
needlework work.  I have hand washed the lighter one in Orvus liquid
in a sink that allowed me to spread it out for the use of a sponge
to push the liquid through.  There was little tangling of the
fringe, which I can now untangle by hand. This method proved to be
very successful.  With age the black one has several areas that have
faded to other shades we all are familiar with.  I am looking for a
means of dyeing the black one. I need a source for the dye, which I
guess would require removal of the dye by irrigation. I hope some
one can point me in the right direction.  My customer wants to wear
it to a wedding November 1, 2003.  She may have to wait.

                Distributed: Thursday, October 16, 2003