Subject: Call for papers--AIC Objects Specialty Group

Call for papers--AIC Objects Specialty Group

From: Alice Paterakis <alicepaterakis>
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2003
The deadline for submissions for the 2004 OSG (Objects Specialty
Group) program in the AIC (American Institute for Conservation)
Annual Meeting in Portland, Oregon, is coming up very soon (Nov. 1,
2003). I would like to encourage anyone who has an interest in
presenting a paper, a tip, or demonstration to contact us. I am
organizing a morning session with traditional papers and there may
be an afternoon session of tips and demonstrations, depending on
interest. We have already received some excellent submissions for
the program but we want more! So I am repeating the Call for Papers
as a reminder to encourage everyone to participate.

The 2004 American Institute for Conservation (AIC) Annual Meeting in
Portland, Oregon will be held from June 9 to June 14, 2004. The OSG
intends to compliment the General Session theme on Cleaning. We plan
to hold a morning session of 15-minute papers and are considering an
afternoon session on tips and demonstrations. The tips and
demonstrations session in Arlington in 2003 was so successful and
well attended that we expect to draw much interest in 2004. This
will depend on your contributions!

Papers relating to the philosophy, ethics, history and mechanics of
cleaning are welcome. We are looking for papers and demonstrations
on all aspects of cleaning; in particular on methods such as
mechanical, chemical, enzymatic, laser, etc. with regard to the wide
range of materials to be removed: corrosion, salts, pollutants,
accretions, graffiti, etc. The afternoon session of tips and
demonstrations will be more informal and interactive than the
morning session of papers. We also encourage submissions that have
utilized conservation approaches and practices from other
specialties adapted to the needs of an objects conservation problem.

Anyone interested in submitting a paper for the morning session or a
demonstration for the afternoon session can contact Alice Paterakis.
Please send an abstract of no more than 300 words by November 1,

    Alice Paterakis
    American School of Classical Studies
    54 Souidias St.
    Athens 10676