Subject: Fungus

Fungus

From: Lori Arnold <woodbldg>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2003
Naoko Fukumaru <naokofukumaru [at] yahoo__com> writes

>Two weeks ago, we installed Yoko Ono's "Freight Train" on the front
>lawn of the museum.  This is a wooden boxcar which has been
>punctured with bullet holes, and lights are installed inside which
>emanate from the holes.  Prior to it's coming to the DIA, the boxcar
>was exhibited in Berlin, Yokohama and New York.  During the
>installation we noticed large fungi growing in a number of the
>bullet holes.
>
>We sent sample of fungi to professor at University of Michigan to
>identify them. He told us the fungi is not toxic but he does not
>know how too kill them. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to
>stop growing of fungi? It's outside sculpture so we can't control
>temperature or humidity.  I am also considering using Architectural
>biocide that is D/2 Architectural Biocide Industrial. Is this also
>work on wood? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your problem sounds like an interesting one. What kind of fungus is
it? What is the name University of Michigan gave you? And when you
say "large," do you mean large fruit bodies or quantities of
mycelium (fuzzy growth)? What color is the fungus? If this is a wood
destroying fungus, it needs to be treated properly or it can come
back stronger than before. Once I know which fungi it is, I can
offer you some recommendations on appropriate biocides and possible
ways to inhibit further growth. Please hold off on treating the
piece with D/2 as this could exacerbate the problem and create new
ones, too.

Lori Arnold
Architectural Conservator
Arnold Wood Conservation, LLC