Subject: Coil bindings

Coil bindings

From: Holly Huston Krueger <hkru>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2003
We are currently working on Martha Graham's copy of Aaron Copland's
Appalachian Spring with her original choreography written on the
score in graphite. It is in a binding which we are calling a "coil
binding". That is a metal coil that threads through a set of holes
on the "spine" edges of the paper. The structure is  like the
familiar spiral notebooks. The volume is disbound and part of the
coil is "sprung" and part is still intact. There are two opinions
about the continued viability of the coil. Some feel that the coil
could be rewound and threaded back through the paper text once it is
repaired. Others feel that once the metal has been pulled out of its
original shape, it cannot be put back due to the way it was
manufactured (extruded). Does anyone have any experience or
familiarity with metal coil-bound objects? Please advise.

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 7, 2003