Subject: Need for architectural conservation practice in U.S. Pacific Northwest

Need for architectural conservation practice in U.S. Pacific Northwest

From: N.J. Bud Goldstone <budgoldstone>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2003
Jeremy Wells <jeremy [at] wells__net> writes

>I was curious if there were any opinions on the need for
>architectural conservators in the Pacific Northwest? I'm currently
>in a graduate program studying architectural conservation, and have
>been eyeing the prospect of starting my own practice in the Pacific
>Northwest at some point in the future as my skill set grows.

Save some money. Put it aside. Check the local press archives or
current newspapers and magazines for front page articles about a
building or large sculpture whose demise is near and demolition is
near but its demolition is not universally popular.

Serve as a volunteer after acquainting yourself with the work and
its supporters and opponents. Do your best possible, professional
consulting work for the supporters and hand out your business cards.
The building or sculpture may be demolished or not, but you will
have gained some notoriety and on-the-job training.

Bud Goldstone (I did that in 1959, and then for another 41 years).

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 7, 2003