Subject: Fungus

Fungus

From: Naoko Fukumaru <naokofukumaru>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2003
I am a Mellon Fellow at Decorative art conservation department in
the Detroit Institute of Arts <URL:http://www.dia.org>. I am hoping
that someone might be able to help me with a fungi problem that was
recently brought to my attention.

Two weeks ago, we installed Yoko Ono's "Freight Train" on the front
lawn of the museum.  This is a wooden boxcar which has been
punctured with bullet holes, and lights are installed inside which
emanate from the holes.  Prior to it's coming to the DIA, the boxcar
was exhibited in Berlin, Yokohama and New York.  During the
installation we noticed large fungi growing in a number of the
bullet holes.

We sent sample of fungi to professor at University of Michigan to
identify them. He told us the fungi is not toxic but he does not
know how too kill them. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to
stop growing of fungi? It's outside sculpture so we can't control
temperature or humidity.  I am also considering using Architectural
biocide that is D/2 Architectural Biocide Industrial. Is this also
work on wood? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Naoko Fukumaru
The Detroit Institute of Arts
Center for Conservation
5200 Woodward Ave.