Subject: Scottish framers

Scottish framers

From: Jocelyn Evans <jocelyne>
Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2003
I am currently treating a painting with no provenance except for a
framer's label.  I was interested in trying to find some more
information about the framer.  Does anyone know of any resources I'd
be able to access from Australia, such as online databases of
framers that have worked in Edinburgh?  The label reads "John
Wilson, Carver and Gilder, Picture Frame Maker, 76 and 78 Buc...
Street, Edinburgh", while the painting appears to be a late 19th
century landscape.

Jocelyn Evans
Paintings Intern, Ian Potter Art Conservation Centre
University of Melbourne

                  Distributed: Monday, October 6, 2003