Subject: Metal printing plates

Metal printing plates

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2003
Eric Alstrom asks for information about the corrosion on some metal
printing plates.  It is very likely that the plates are zinc, and
that having been stored for many years in wooden boxes, the
corrosion product is a basic zinc carbonate.  Becoming translucent
when wet and going white again when dry sounds very like corrosion
products I have seen on other zinc artefacts. This is quite tricky
to remove, as the encrustations are hard and the metal is fairly
soft and easily deformed, so I do not think that mechanical removal
would be easy.  I hesitate to suggest this without seeing the
plates, but I wonder whether an electrolytic process would be
feasible, particularly as there is a large number of plates to
treat.

Dr Barry Knight
Head of Conservation Research
The British Library