Subject: UV filtering materials

UV filtering materials

From: Marcus Herdin <herdin>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2003
Betty L. Seifert <seifert [at] dhcd__state__md__us> writes

>A colleague serving on the board for a historic house asked about
>using UV film to cover interior window glass.
>
>   "Film to cover the windows was purchased, but a tinting company
>    informed us that placing film on the interior window surfaces
>    would cause heat build up and wood deterioration in the frames
>    between the inner window and outer storm window. (The museum is
>    in a circa 1925 house). Would this happen? They propose to
>    provide protection on the storm windows at much higher cost"
>
>Does anyone else have experience with this?  The local firm wants to
>charge a high fee for the installation of their product.

We have experience with UV film in several historic galleries. For
example, in Schloss Schleissheim (a castle of the first half of the
17th century), UV films are placed on the window-inside (on the
gallery side). They persist without colour chances or other problems
for about 10 years. Increasing heat or damage of the frames is not
noticeable for this time.

The firm wants to sell its expensive solution, that is mostly the
point. It would be interesting, of the physical point of view, how
the firm explains their "warning". Could you ask for this?

Marcus Herdin
Dipl.-Rest. Marcus Herdin
Bayerische Staatsgemaeldesammlungen
Doerner-Institut