Subject: UV filtering materials

UV filtering materials

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2003
Betty Seifert asks for information about whether applying UV
absorbing film to the inner window would cause a buildup of heat
between the inner window and the storm window.  I think this is very
unlikely--this could happen if an IR reflecting film was used, but
the UV film should allow IR energy to pass through unimpeded.
Applying UV film to the storm window would be much less effective
since I imagine the storm windows are open during the summer months
when the UV level is highest.

Dr Barry Knight
Head of Conservation Research
The British Library