Subject: Mending plates

Mending plates

From: Mark Allen <mallen>
Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2003
I am looking for a source for 1/2 X 4 inch and 1/2 X 5 inch solid
brass mending plates to secure stretched, painting canvases to
frames. When I tried to order these thru Conservation Support
Systems in California they claimed that Brainerd, the manufacture
had discontinued making even the 1/2 X 3 inch brass mending plates
(with four beveled screw holes). Does anyone know of another source
for these other than hand fashioning them from sheet brass?

Mark J. Allen
Collection Technician
The Taft Museum of Art
316 Pike Street