Subject: Graphite on gilded lead ornaments

Graphite on gilded lead ornaments

From: Nancy Barnes <nbarnes>
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2003
I am a gilder working right now on gilded lead exterior ornaments, I
would like to consult with someone concerning the graphite process.
The graphite process which is currently being used is a recipe of
(50% graphite, 50% white spirit, and 1% boiled linseed oil, mixed
together). This results in a surface which is powdery, the graphite
must be repeated frequently, and each application makes the gilding
not only dull but obscures the pattern of the design.

We have been experimenting with just graphite 50% or more, in a
solution of 1-2 hour size (quick drying varnish).

At this percentage the colour, the softness and the dull gleam of
graphite is reproduced.  And hopefully it will be far more long
lasting.

Is any one familiar with using graphite in combination with gilding,
and who might know if this trial solution is more permanent, and if
it is wise from a conservation perspective. Can you advise us
anything from your experience? Where can I find about the history of
graphiting? With appreciation,

Nancy Barnes
Department of Holy Places
Baha'i World Centre