Subject: Coral

Coral

From: Flavia Perugini <fperugini>
Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2003
An old piece of coral in our collection needs immediate cleaning and
consolidation.  The piece, still attached to a rock, has been
mishandled and exposed to all sorts of environmental conditions for
about 250 years.  Both the coral and the rock are covered with a
thick layer of black dust.  Some parts of the coral are missing and
some others are barely attached to the main stem. My experience with
this kind of artifacts is limited and I would like to hear from
anybody who has dealt with similar pieces before. All help will be
greatly appreciated.

Flavia Perugini, conservator
George Washington's Mount Vernon
PO Box 110