Subject: Wiedolux

Wiedolux

From: Ingeborg Smit <ismit>
Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2003
In the Rijksmuseum Twenthe we have recently acquired an object by
German artist IMI Giese. This work is one of his series of
"Leuchtwerke" and dates from 1968. The paint on the wooden beams is
called "Wiedolux" according to the catalogue. It is neon yellow and
glows in the dark for a period of time. The paint layer now
resembles something like chewing gum: it is very soft and sticky and
has taken on the surface structure of bubblewrap and fingerprints.
The producer of this paint was the firm Wiederhold GmbH in Hilden,
Germany. The firm no longer exists and none of the current firms can
help me trace the ingredients of this paint. We are planning further
analytical research.

Is there anyone who knows similar work by Giese and/or has any
information about the polymers, pigments and aging of phosphorescent
"Wiedolux" paint?

Ingeborg Smit
Rijksmuseum Twenthe
Lasondersingel 129-131