Subject: Fome-Cor

Fome-Cor

From: Prue McKay <pruem>
Date: Friday, September 19, 2003
Ben O'Loughlin <b.o'loughlin [at] alfred__org__au> writes

>Can someone please tell me suitability of using Fome-Cor as a
>backing to parchment?

I recently conducted some tests on several Fome-cor samples.  Some
large colour photos had been mounted with a backing of foam core
board, and following display the backs of the photos exhibited a
yellow edge stain. The suspicion was that perhaps some component of
the board was to blame.

Samples of this board, along with other samples taken from random
boards, were subjected to the Photographic Activity Test here at the
National Archives of Australia.  All samples passed both the image
test and the stain test.  The average pH of all the samples tested
was 7.7.  These results indicate that the foam core was not
responsible for the yellow staining on the photographs.  We now
suspect that fresh paint on the gallery walls here the photographs
were hung was to blame.

I think that Fome-cor board would be a suitable backing for
parchment, depending on what other materials are being used in the
framing/mounting. Hope this helps,

Prue McKay
Supervising Conservator, Laboratory
National Archives of Australia