Subject: Silk and metals

Silk and metals

From: David Thickett <david.thickett>
Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2003
Hilda Abreu de Utermohlen <h.abreu [at] centroleon__org__do> writes

>I would like to know the potential effect of exhibiting underwater
>archaeological bronze and silver metal objects over silk-lined
>polystyrene mounts, which are placed in open wooden boxes inside the
>exhibit case. I am concerned that being silk a sulfur-containing
>material, it may corrode the metals in contact with them. But I
>couldn't find much in the literature about silk and its effect in
>exhibits.

Despite contained sulphur, about a third of silks pass accelerated
corrosion tests with silver.  Placing the metal in direct contact
with the silk may accelerate the deterioration of the silk and cause
more emission of sulphur based gases.  In the small number of tests
that I've done, some materials that have caused no corrosion in a
standard (airborne) test fail when placed in direct contact with
metals.  I think you really do need to test the actual silks you are
intending to use.

David Thickett
Conservation Scientist
Collections Care Team