Subject: Marquetry

Marquetry

From: Ana Nascimento <nascimento.ana>
Date: Monday, September 22, 2003
    author.

My name is Ana Nascimento and I'm a finalist student for the course
of Conservation and Restoration of furniture from University of
Sciences and Technologies of Lisbon in Portugal.

I'm developing my final project. It concerns a study of furniture
with marquetry and inlay woodwork. This project, besides describing
the construction procedures and the most used materials also refers
all kind of conservation problems associated to this kind of
decoration and possible treatments suitable to each pathology.

I would like to require, if possible, your great experience in
conservation and restoration so that you can help me. What I need is
all kind of possible information about the usual and unusual
conservation problems associated to this kind of furniture
decoration and the treatments applied to each problem.

I understand that it seems a little to general and it could be quit
a lot of information, but I would be happy to receive a simple list
with a small description of the problem, is origin or cause and the
most common treatment. It doesn't have to be extremely detailed,
what I'm looking for is the largest amount of practical cases of
degradations and the solutions found to resolve them. If you also
could send me some photos, it would be great!

I would appreciate a quick reply, so that I could include your
contribution in my report, which must be delivered in the end of
October, 2003.

Ana Nascimento

                Distributed: Friday, September 26, 2003