Subject: Silk and metals

Silk and metals

From: Hilda Abreu de Utermohlen <h.abreu>
Date: Thursday, September 11, 2003
I would like to know the potential effect of exhibiting underwater
archaeological bronze and silver metal objects over silk-lined
polystyrene mounts, which are placed in open wooden boxes inside the
exhibit case. I am concerned that being silk a sulfur-containing
material, it may corrode the metals in contact with them. But I
couldn't find much in the literature about silk and its effect in
exhibits.

Hilda Abreu Utermohlen
Conservation Consultant
Centro Cultural Eduardo Le0n Jimenes
Ave. 27 de Febrero #146
Santiago de los Caballeros
Dominican Republic
+809 582 2315
Fax: +809 724 7644

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 16, 2003