Subject: Protective covers for outdoor stone sculpture

Protective covers for outdoor stone sculpture

From: Frances David <davidfsc>
Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2003
I am part of a group planning to test protective covers for outdoor
sculpture this winter. The sculptures, of marble or limestone, are
situated in the gardens of historic properties that are open to the
public all year round. We are interested in protecting the statues
from the damaging effects of freeze-thaw action during the winter
months by providing an in-situ cover over each statue. As the
covered statues remain on public display, we are interested in
providing covers that are sympathetic to the aesthetics of their
surroundings.

We have previously tested a number of cover types and techniques,
including close-wrapping with Tyvek and loose structures constructed
from solid wood. This winter, we are hoping to compare further
methods.

I would be grateful for any suggestions, or examples, of methods
that are currently being used, or have been used in the past, to
physically cover sculpture during the winter.

Fran David
Collections Care Team
English Heritage
23 Savile Row
London W1S 2ET

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 10, 2003