Subject: X-ray film

X-ray film

From: Deborah Rohan <deborah.rohan>
Date: Monday, September 1, 2003
Our Archives Service is in the process of acquiring a large hospital
archive, and the archivist involved has mentioned to me that the
hospital's x-ray store has a very strong and disagreeable odour. I'm
not familiar with x-ray film or how it is processed, and I can't
easily get out to examine this lot myself. The x-rays may date from
the 1940s onward. Does anyone know if this smell is more likely to
be due to a) nitrate or acetate degradation; b) some other
specialized film base, with which I'm not familiar; c) poor
processing; d) non-silver image components; or e) a combination?
With thanks,

Debby Rohan

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 2, 2003