Subject: Color targets for digital microscopy

Color targets for digital microscopy

From: Joseph Padfield <joseph.padfield>
Date: Friday, August 29, 2003
Michael Whitbeck <michael.whitbeck [at] fmglobal__com> writes

>I need something like the 24 patch Macbeth Color Checker but of a
>size suitable for (digital) microscopy (at say 50x). ...

We have been trying out some basic colour calibrated digital
microscopy and yes suitable targets are hard to find.

I have been experimenting with a small version of the Macbeth chart,
each square of the chart is photographed, (slightly out of focus, as
they are not uniform under high mag), along with a white target and
a black control (lens cap on.)  These 26 images are then processed
to produce the information required to correct subsequent images.

All our image processing is done with our free software (for
Windows, Mac or *nix) as noted in a previous posting by John Cupitt:
VIPS/Nip image processing software:
<URL:http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/>

I have found one microscopic target, but have not purchased one yet
due to the cost (UKP600-700).  It an be found at
    <URL:http://www.edmundoptics.com/
        IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=2291>

They also have the mini Macbeth charts:
    <URL:http://www.edmundoptics.com/