Subject: Gessoed parchment

Gessoed parchment

From: Peter Geraty <pgeraty>
Date: Friday, August 22, 2003
We are about to produce a facsimile of a sketch book to be used in
an exhibition on Rembrandt.  These books, called tafelet, were
usually made with vellum pages prepared with gesso.  The books were
pocket-sized, bound into leather and had clasps or fore edge flaps
fastened with a metal stylus which was used for scribing the
prepared surface of the vellum.

We are looking for information on these books.  How was the vellum
itself prepared, e.g.--scraped on both sides?  Has anyone any
information on how the gesso was applied?  What formula for gesso
might have been used?  Did the gesso go all the way into the gutter
margin?  Did that seem to pose any problems with the sewing?  How
many pages was common?  What sizes were in use?  How ornate or plain
were the bindings?  Are there any collections in New England which
contain some of these books or any collections, anywhere, which
might have photographs showing the pages and the bindings?

Information on these books would be greatly appreciated.  We would
also be glad to forward any information we get to anyone else
interested.
Peter Geraty
Praxis Bindery
1 Cottage St. Unit #18