Subject: Responsibility for cleaning work and storage areas

Responsibility for cleaning work and storage areas

From: Christine Wiseman <cwiseman>
Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2003
Sarah Lowengard <sarahl [at] panix__com> writes

>The question below recently resurfaced in a conversation, and some
>institution-based colleagues and I would like to ask it of the
>larger community: Who is responsible for routine building
>maintenance duties (i.e. mopping, buffing, vacuuming floors,
>maintaining walls, exteriors of cabinets, etc) in your art storage
>areas? Who, for your laboratory? A registrar? A preparator? A
>janitor, with supervision?  Is this different from the "on paper"
>assignment?

Our laboratory areas and collection storage vaults are cleaned by
contract housekeeping staff accompanied by an archives staff member.
They follow cleaning procedures and schedules drafted by
preservation staff.  They clean the entire building, but must be
accompanied  when cleaning the following areas: conservation lab,
microfilm lab, exhibit prep area, scanning lab, collection storage
vaults, and exhibit gallery cases.  In lab areas, housekeeping staff
clean floors and table and counter tops.  If equipment requires
dusting or cleaning, it's done by a staff member.  In the collection
storage vaults they clean floors and the tops of map cases.

Christine Wiseman
Preservation Services Manager
Georgia Archives
5800 Jonesboro Road