Subject: Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents

Citing treatment reports and unpublished documents

From: Christine Smith <capi>
Date: Friday, August 15, 2003
May I suggest that work be cited not just as a *personal
communication,* but more specifically, e.g. conversation, email,
letter, etc.?  People often do not make written notes after a
conversation and may misinterpret something said at a lecture.
However, information that is gathered from email, letters, or other
written records is more likely to be retained so that future
investigators can consult it.  Personally, I have been frustrated on
a number of occasions when I contacted an author about a *personal
communication* and was told that it was a telephone conversation
without record.

Christine Smith
Conservation of Art on Paper, Inc.
2805 Mount Vernon Ave.