Subject: AIC Architecture Specialty Group trip to Cuba

AIC Architecture Specialty Group trip to Cuba

From: Mary A. Jablonski <majablonski>
Date: Monday, August 18, 2003
The Architectural Specialty Group is organizing a trip to Cuba to
study Cuban Architecture and preservation/conservation practices
there.  We still have some extra spaces for those interested in
coming.  If you are interested, please contact Mary Jablonski
<majablonski [at] aol__com>

We are busy putting an itinerary together.  This trip is being put
together by Rosa Lowinger, who is a frequent traveler to Cuba and a
member of AIC.

Some of the people we are planning on meeting include:

    Eduardo Luis Rodriguez, who is quite well known internationally
    and an expert on Modern Architecture. It will depend upon his
    being in the country at the time

    Mario Coyula, the former head of city planning for the city of
    Havana.

    Roberto Lopez Bastida and Nancy Benitez, the head and sub
    director of architectural preservation for the city of Trinidad
    (a UNESCO world heritage site)

    Key members of the Historian of the City of Havana's
    architectural preservation office, including Orestes del
    Castillo, who runs the architectural preservation office for the
    historian; Isabel Rigol, architect and head of ICOMOS Cuba and
    the former director of the national conservation laboratories in
    Havana.

    Victor Marin, from the national conservation center (also an
    architect and preservationist.)

    Iran Millan, chief architect and conservator for the city of
    Cienfuegos.

This will be an exciting trip and a wonderful chance to meet our
Cuban colleagues and exchange ideas.  Prior to departing, a reading
list will be sent to all trip participants to give some background
about the buildings we will visit and the people we will be meeting.
Also, there will be a briefing in Miami as we wait for the plane
about the politics Cuba, the people we are meeting topics to avoid.

This is a ten day trip, Friday to Sunday.  We would arrive Friday
October 24, do a program in Havana through Tuesday, on Wednesday go
to Cienfuegos and spend the day, arriving in Trinidad that evening.
Thursday and Friday we would be in Trinidad returning that night to
Havana.  Saturday would be a final day in Havana for wrap up and
seeing things we missed and then leaving on Sunday November 2 for
the States.

The cost of the trip is estimated at $2500.  Included in this fee
are hotels, buses to other cities and some meals.  A deposit of $500
will be required by September 15, 2003 to hold your place.  The
deposit must be sent to AIC and a note made on the check that this
is for the ASG Cuba trip.  The remainder of the fee will be due on
October 1st.

As an added tidbit, our group will meet artists and curators in the
contemporary art world.

We plan to use a license from a museum that has one in place.  This
will allow us to go legally without any problems.

As part of this trip, it would be ideal if we could bring some
literature with us.  The logistics of this are being worked on and
if this is possible, we will inform everyone what materials our
Cuban colleagues can use and see what is possible for us to bring.

                  Distributed: Monday, August 18, 2003