Subject: RFID systems

RFID systems

From: Marguerite Nagel-Stuart <m.nagel>
Date: Monday, August 11, 2003
Loren C. Pigniolo <misterpuerh [at] earthlink__net> writes

>Has anyone considered using writable RFID tags as a means for
>attaching conservation metadata to treated objects?

Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam is one of the museums
working with RFID tags: they use the so-called Talking-Tag system.
Because of its limitations, present day methods for collection
management harbour many moments of risk. When identification of an
object is needed, it is necessary to lift, tilt and touch the
object. This handling can damage the object. It is also time
consuming and often a frustrating activity. The Talking-Tag system
restricts these moments of risk and frustration, by taking away the
need of physical contact when identifying an object. There are other
advantages to this system as well, which include: simplification of
registration checks; integration in disaster planning; the
possibility to store information in the tag and the combination with
public information systems. We developed a special tag for the use
for museum objects (inert material, tested, etc.).

The systems works both with and without direct access to the
database. The tag can create the link to the database for retrieving
information. In addition, the tag has 44 positions in which
information can be stored, for example by using codes. These
positions can be accessed without having to use the database. For
example, position 5 could give a code for the climatic requirements
for the object. In this way, basic conservation/preservation
information is directly linked to the object.

Please feel free to contact us and we can provide you with more
information.

Marguerite Nagel-Stuart
HELICON conservation support b.v.
Boerhaaveweg 9-11